Tuesday, June 07, 2005

CRASH!

That's the sound the AC unit made this morning. What a wonderful way to wake up. At first it sounded like someone slammed through our front window. I wasn't sure what happened so I started walking around the house making sure nothing was broken.... then I realized. For the first time in 41 hours the AC unit was not running.

Every year we have had to persistently call our rental management company in order to get it fixed. Every piece of the unit is old, rusted and well past its age of normal use. I have gotten excuses from the maintenance workers about how it needs a day or two to power up or how its fine... but it must be user error. So I had a mission this year... run it into the ground. Setting the thermostat to 65, we have been letting it run continuously since Sunday afternoon. Yesterday I noticed there was ice all over the pipe leading from the unit outside to the blower unit inside. Even though that ice existed, it was still approximately 75-80 degrees. The reason I don't know the exact temperature is because the thermostat is an old piece of junk as well.

Once I realized the unit was off for the first time in nearly 2 days, I walked over to the thermostat and pushed the temperature gauge lower. The whole unit sprang to life but it sounded horrible. CLANK! CLANG! CLANK! I immediately pushed the gauge up to 90 degrees and the power flickered and the unit shut off. My next mission was to reset all of our clocks because of the power surge... or lack of power, not sure. Then I got to alert the management for the third time in 2 days about the AC unit. One through e-mail, then through online form.... and then the phone call.

I cannot complain, most of the time stuff here is fixed pretty quickly. This year we decided to push a little harder because we have been here as extremely good customers for over 3 years and we have barely made any complaints. This year be decided to make sure all the major repairs that needed to be done get finished. So far, the livingroom floor has been restabilized and no longer has a second function as a trampoline. We are still waiting on the much needed drainage repairs which requires ripping up the whole yard and repiping, fixing the sump pump again and repairing the basement walls. We are also waiting on a complete weather stripping fix. The lease manager also promised us new cabinets to replace the 35 year old ones but they have given us a bunch of excuses when we brought it up.

Though this management company is not as bad as the bastard that basically conned us out of our money several years ago, I always keep in mind the lessons I have learned from that experience. If the "major system" ( AC / Heat / Floor / Doors / Plumbing ) that was listed with the advertisement is not in working order, you can demand repairs or replacement of the "major system". Failure to do so by the owner/management company can result in escrow, ending the lease without penalty or even suing them for damages. I am keeping this in the back of my head this year because I know I have asked them for a lot but the maintenance is certainly needed. I also don't want to leave here because this is one of the few safer areas that you can get a basement, yard and some real privacy without paying a shitload of rent and driving a long commute into work.

Ahhh. I can feel the temperature rising as I type. I hope they get here soon.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just try to stay as cool as possible babe :(

6/07/2005 12:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home