Thursday, July 21, 2005

Chuck & My Music Reviews

While I was in Maine, my good ole friend Chuck paid me a visit. This is nothing out of the ordinary for him, he will tear half way around the world to nod "hello" to you. He is probably the last person to keep in touch from my Massachusetts days and I'm glad he keeps in touch to this day to get me the good gossip.
#
With his wisdom in beer, dashing red haired good looks, odd mixed accent and the most traveled walk without a rhythm he met Holly and I in Wells this past Saturday. We walked/stumbled the beaches and chatted about things going on, gossip about the "boys from Sudbury" and he inspired us with his overseas travel stories.
#
Sunday was more of the same. We walked "The Marginal Way" between Ogunquit and York to Perkins Cove, went to Kennebunkport for lunch and literally "chilled" at Wells Beach till the tide started to encroach upon us.
#
If anything, it was great to see Chuck again and I'm glad he took the time to drive the couple hours and brave the New Hampshire toll hell.

He also came bearing two CDs he gave me.

##########################

Mr. North : Lifesize

This is your basic rock band but has high positive energy in which compliments the superb vocals. This is not your whinny alternative band. If you like rock that actually uses the concept of melody, you may want to check these Dubliners out. The link is above, you can also find them on iTunes.


Stand : Transmissions

Another Dublin rock band that embraces melody. According to Holly, these guys sound like Red Hot Chili Peppers. I think she correct with the vocals, but I get more of an Irish/Celtic beat feeling from some of the songs. Please correct me if I am wrong. I especially like the ballad, "Torch", a very nice tune. The unfortunate thing is whoever mixed the album let the vocals drown out some of the interesting effects. If you know me, you know my ears and brain turn the vocals into an instrument, I don't listen for actual lyrics. All of their instruments are played tight and extremely well together. The link is above, also check them out at iTunes and other online music stores.



Thanks Chuck.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They did sound like the Red Hot Chili Peppers to me, which is not a bad thing because it reminded me of their Californication cd which I LOVE! Thanks Chuck for the music. I'm gonna burn me a few copies for my car :)

7/21/2005 11:45 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stand is great!! if you ever get a chance to see em' live do so as if your liver depended on it!

7/21/2005 10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home