Monday, July 25, 2005

28.5% and lowering.

CV and I have been on 7 trips/vacations together. Of those seven trips we (I) got into 2 car accidents. Both times I was driving, making a left hand turn at low speed in a crappily marked intersection while a "local" ignorantly slams into me.

Wilmington, NC


We were slightly lost and accidentally took the US 17 Alt route and we were trying to get back on track. In an intersection that had multiple lanes that turn together, but poorly marked, a lady T-Boned me in the drivers door. It was over 100 degrees that day and the rookie cop screwed up all the details. Somehow, I was ticketed for reckless driving. The lady that hit me was admitting to me that this is the third time she had done this to someone. Stupid pig didn't catch that. Anyway, it cast a black cloud on the rest our trip and CV had to drive around with a huge dent in her door and her insurance tripled for 2.5 years afterward.

Carroltown, KY 9/2003 (Home of the tobacco Festival?)

Coming back from a couple exploring days from Mammoth Caves, we took a pit stop at the above "dip-in-the-road" for gas and burgers. Driving down the unlit road that connects to I-71 a Mazda started tailgating me, CV got nervous about it and told me to be careful. So I quickly swerved into the turning lanes and the car followed. As I started my turn the car behind me bared right to get back into the straight lane, I admit I was mainly watching him. Anyway, I was just starting to turn when a old rusty VW bug came blasting out of a BP gas station and tore into the front end of my car. Airbags went off and that gunpowder smell fogged the air. I was furious and I began shaking the steering wheel as if I was going to rip it off. I looked over to CV and she seemed completely dazed and confused of what just happened. The guy in the Mazda came to ask me if I was okay and tried to move my vehicle, when I started putting my foot down, he tore off.

The VW ended up also hitting a truck getting off the freeway and landed into a concrete barrier. The VW was totaled. The truck had minor damage. Everyone lived. My car's front end was basically ripped off, the front hood was folded upwards and the airbags smashed the windshield. If I was any further into the turn, we would have been dead. We had to stay the night because I didn't have any headlights. For $500, I had $5000 worth of repair done to my car.

The worst was yet to come. As the police were attending to my accident, the rubberneckers on the overpass in the near distance caused a bigger accident. A 18-wheeler flipped and about 3 cars were smooshed in the process.

I am keeping track because I get extremely nervous on long trips now. The lower the percentage the better. We have also driven to Maine/MA/NH 3 times without incident and two trips to OK as well.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let's keep up the good work!

7/26/2005 11:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home