Monday, November 07, 2005

Whatcha Gonna Do?!

Leaving work has been an experience lately. The main highway that I usually take has sometimes been blocked off by orange barrels. Of course, with no warnings... I'm usually routed directly downtown whether I like it not. When this happens I try to take a new route to keep it interesting and keep myself from getting too pissed off about it.

Last Sunday night, meaning a week ago, I knew that there would not be too much traffic down one of the most cultural diverse and interesting roads in this city. It passes through many different communities and the shops that line it range from weird art galleries to gay male stripper joints to some of the most expensive restaurants and clubs in town. It runs through ghetto, campus and elite neighborhoods. If you ever drive down this road, you are bound to see something cool.

For the most part, the drive was quiet and slow going. Being the night before Halloween, I knew better than to speed through the area. I was delighted to see that some of the road was actually repaved and the ride was not as bumpy as I expected. Red light after red light, I passed a minimal amount of cars.

At any ordinary red light, I drove up on a yellow sports car with a cop sitting behind it. So I drove up slowly into the parallel lane so that the yellow car was next to me. I noticed that the cop was stopped extremely close to the yellow cars' rear bumper. I figured... drunk driver about to be pulled over... no big deal.

The light changed to green and all the vehicles started to moved accordingly. I stayed at the posted speed limit and I kind of fell behind the police car... which was still closely following the sports car. Suddenly I notice two small red and blue lights dimly light up and the cops light bar. I backed off a little in case something weird was about to happen.

As soon as I was one car length away from the police car... the light bar lit up... and I let my foot off the gas pedal.... just in case. I looked into my rearveiw mirror and I could see many dark black shapes charging towards me. The police cruisers were coming in from all directions without headlights or lightbars on. As soon as about 5 police cars were there, the police exited their vehicles with guns and rifles drawn.

I was stopped and stunned, I thought I was watching COPS on Fox for a second... then I realized I was in my car... and I was kind of in the line of fire. I started to backup and go into the curb lane but I didn't get too far because the police cars kept coming in. I did not want to cause a pile up. The driver and passenger of the yellow sports car were ripped from their vehicle by the police and thrown to the ground with guns to their heads. Shouting and speakers barking orders blared into the night. By now the street was filled with about 20 police cars and they were blocking the road completely.

So I sat there and watched. I could see in my rear view that people were stopping and turning around several blocks behind me. The suspects were handcuffed not more than 20 feet from my car so I got a pretty good look at one of them. I think I may have seen his mug shot on the news for some plasma TV burglaries that have been sweeping the city. But, really, I'm just not sure what the whole deal was. I took a couple shots of the area with my camera phone... but those cameras suck and it came out blurry due to all the flashing lights.

I sat there for about 25 minutes when I realized I could use an alleyway to go around the horde of police vehicles. I was so jumpy and excited while driving home that I missed my turn and I ended up having to turn around 2 miles off course in order to get home.

A drive home that I least expected.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hooooooooooooooooooooly sheeeeet!!
That would have fucking freaked me out. Glad nothing happened to you or your car.

11/18/2005 6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home